- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- tablespoon About 6jelly or jam any flavor
1. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Beat brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour and salt.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly with fork. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb into center of each cookie to make indentation, but do not press all the way to the cookie sheet.
4. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Quickly remake indentations with end of wooden spoon if necessary. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Fill each thumbprint with about 1/2 measuring teaspoon of the jelly.
*Do not use vegetable oil spreads.
**If using self-rising flour, omit salt.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Cookie:; Calories 75 (Calories from Fat 45); Fat 5g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 35mg; Carbohydrate 6g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1g % DAILY VALUE:; Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2% DIET EXCHANGES:; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat