- ***Enchilada Sauce:***
- 1/2 C each chopped onion and green pepper
- 2 T butter
- 1 15- oz can tomato sauce* (can sub red enchilada sauce)
- 1 C chicken stock
- 2 tsp chili powder* (can sub red enchilada sauce)
- 1 tsp each cumin* sugar and salt (can sub red enchilada sauce)
- 1/8 tsp pepper* (can sub red enchilada sauce)
- ***Chicken Filling:***
- 1/3 C half and half
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 2 in C cooked chicken cut into strips
- 3/4 C chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional: I use taco seasoning instead)
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 C shredded Cheddar cheese 6 oz
For sauce, sauté onion and green pepper in butter. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally. For filling, gradually add cream to cream cheese, beating until well-blended. Stir in chicken, onion and salt.
To assemble enchiladas, lightly brown each tortilla over medium high heat on both sides in a lightly buttered skillet until heated thru and softened but not crisp. Dip each warm tortilla in enchilada sauce. Spoon 1/4 C filling over each tortilla and roll up.
Arrange enchiladas, seam side down, in a 9x13" baking pan. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350° oven 15-20 min.
Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 3 min. Makes 6 servings (2 enchiladas each).
It's a good idea to put the enchiladas in a single layer - makes life easier when trying to get them served.